Monday, November 17, 2008

Born From Above

Have you ever wondered about your salvation experience(s)? I mean, trying to make sense of how one can believe as a child but feel as though you weren't 'saved' or 'born again' until that second time when you were older. Well, I've thought a lot about it. I've heard a lot about it. But, a year or so ago, it was settled in my mind. I felt as though the Lord Himself had taught my heart. You know those times when you have that light bulb experience and you try to share it with others but it doesn't affect them the same way? Years ago, I began taking my own informal survey of the age when one is saved. Time after time I would hear someone say something like "Well I was saved when I was a child, but I dedicated my life to Christ when I was in college." I noticed that the first experience usually happened somewhere between the ages of 9-12 and the second between 17-25. For my own life, I don't actually remember a time when I didn't believe in Jesus, but at 9 years of age at the Joliet General Baptist under Reverend Maricle (yes, that was his name and to a child miracle and maricle sound the same-we were in church, he was the preacher, it made sense to my childbrain) I had my first experience. I went down front and was 'saved'. I was baptised and continued to act, basically, the same, I think, but I always knew I was His and when I wasn't doing right, I felt guilty. So, while I wasn't necessarily obedient, I did feel a responsibility to God. Funny enough, around 14 or 15 yrs I became aware of the hypocrisy in my life and my thoughts were something like "I am a Christian but if I died right now, I wouldn't go to heaven." That's because I didn't understand God's Grace and the impossibility of being a Christian and not going to heaven. So, anyway, at 17, at a Methodist Church in Tuscaloosa, AL I had my second experience, where I 'rededicated' my life to Christ. From this point on, my life did change. My desires did change. My actions even changed. Whatever it was, it was real and lasting-in fact everlasting. Fast-forward to my thoughts today. What actually happened to me on those two occasions. Here's what I believe. Warning: Some of you theologians out there may be tempted to teach me about context and the order of salvation and etc. etc.
My first experience was when I came to Jesus and He said "let the little child come to me and do not hinder her."
My second experience was not when 'I made Jesus my Lord', it was when Jesus said "Follow Me." And what else could I do? I am one of His sheep, I heard His voice and I followed.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We had a conversation with our kids about this last night. "walking the aisle" as a child confuses alot of people. I was one of them. Good thoughts, thanks!!

Jeff Miller said...

Aren't you glad God relentlessly pursues His people?! From our perspective he meets us where we are and since He is outside of time, He has already seen us through to all we will ever be or know... I need some more coffee....

Hope you guys are well. You have a beautiful family & I enjoy all your FB posts & pics.

Grace & Peace

The Agees said...

Thank you and very well said, Jeff-and grace to you-the deep things of God. I often ponder God's sovereignty and our perspective, the human element (you are obviously very gracious to Arminians on this subject). And with regard to God being 'outside of time,'My son Samuel Isaac, 8 yrs, has been grappling with God's 'I Am-ness' lately. He says he can get the no ending but he can't quite get his brain around the no beginning-well at least he's getting an early start at trying but I don't think it will get him anywhere...lol